Although Uwe Meffert designed and made a cardboard mock-up of this puzzle over 25 years ago, I was almost certainly the first person to actually make a working sample in 2008. Uwe's mock-up appeared in his famous 1981 catalogue. I can only assume the items in that catalogue were intended for production but something changed his mind for many of them. The above photo shows his mockup on the left and my fully working puzzle on the right. I have tried to make my Pyraminx Ultimate as close to the catalogue picture as possible. I made it by extending a regular Rubik's Cube in a fully functional way in all six directions. During this process I was able to create my Cross Cube as a by product. My Cross Cube helps to understand how I made the Pyraminx Ultimate. The new pieces needed were sculpted by hand and then silicone rubber moulds were made. From these polyurethane resin parts were cast. I am happy with the way it looks though rotational movement can only be described as poor. Naturally I used Uwe Meffert's Skewb type stickers. Having played with the puzzle a little bit it is quite obvious that the original colouring could be improved somewhat. With groups of pieces entirely the same colour it really cuts down the number of possible combinations.