##googology is probably one of the chillest and best channels on Freenode IRC. It's so chill and laid back man. I gotta tell you, some great stuff going on in there. You should totally join.
There are two weekly "meetings" scheduled for 08:00 and 20:00 UTC every Saturday. These aren't really organized events so much as times when we try to get as many people on as possible to talk about anything.
Cloaking your IP Edit
If you're not familiar with Freenode or IRC, it's worth noting that your IP address is given out to other channel users by default! To avoid this, do the following steps:
- On the web client, connect with your desired nickname and click on the Status tab in the upper left. (You don't need to have Status open, but this is for safety reasons -- if you slip up, your private data won't be given out to other Freenode users.)
- Type: /ns register <password> <email address>. This is for confirmation and account recovery. Freenode will not spam you.
- Open your email and confirm.
- Type /join #freenode and on that channel, politely request an unaffiliated cloak. Wait for it to be granted.
- From this point, every time you open up the client, check "Auth to server" and enter your password. This can also be done manually with /ns identify <account> <password>.
Note that you must be over 13 years of age to register with Freenode, but this restriction applies to the wiki as well.
Be nice, be welcoming. A warning for our more sensitive users: there may be a lot of swearing.