A million is a number equal to 106 = 1000^2 = 1,000,000 = 1E6 = one followed by six zeroes. It is both a square number and cubic number. It is often used as hyperbole or exaggeration to represent an indefinitely large number. A million is one of the first numbers to be generally considered big by most people's standards. The name came from an Italian word "millione" which combined the Italian "mille" meaning one thousand with the augmentative suffix -one.
- One million seconds is approximately 11.5 days, one million minutes is about two years, one million hours is about 114 years, one million days is about 2700 years, and one million weeks is about 19000 years.
- Sbiis Saibian computed that if a person walked one thousand miles every 31 days, after 75 years, that person would have managed to walk about 883000 miles.
- A tower of a million people would reach 1700 km high, which is about four times higher than the International Space Station.
- The most popular add-on for Firefox, AdBlock Plus, has about 1997 million downloads as of October, 2016.
- The SI prefix mega- multiplies by one million.
- A million one dollar bills would cover the area of two football fields.
- The country of Kazakhstan is slightly larger than 1,000,000 square miles in area; and the country of Egypt is slightly larger than 1,000,000 square kilometers in area.
- The state of Alaska is about 1,700,000 square kilometers in area.
In googology Edit
In Greek-based number-naming systems, a million is associated with SI prefix mega-, and with SI prefix micro- in Latin systems.
There are Iranian rial Iran Cheques with this number in the denomination.
It is also the prize for correctly answering all fifteen questions in some national editions of the game show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? in the respective local currency.
|Notation||Lower bound||Upper bound|
|Taro's multivariable Ackermann function||A(3,16)||A(3,17)|
|Bashicu matrix system||(0)|
|Hyperfactorial array notation||9!||10!|
- ↑ Million at Wolfram MathWorld
- ↑ http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/million
- ↑ Aarex Tiaokhiao's illion numbers
- ↑ Yottatron's Latin -illion numbers
- ↑ Part 1 (LAN) - Aarex Googology
- ↑ AAN Numbers - P1 - Aarex Googology
- ↑ Part 1 - My Large Numbers
- ↑ 2.1.4 - Everyday Large Numbers for a Modern World
- ↑ https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_area
- ↑ [
- ↑ http://mrob.com/pub/math/largenum.html#class2